Sunday, March 30, 2014

{ busy is a four letter word }

I just finished reading this article about the business of being busy.  Let me tell you, I seriously dislike busy. I dislike the word, I dislike the meaning, I dislike the feeling. Being busy is synonymous with stress and disconnectedness. We all have those friends that when asked unload every detail of their day/week/life that keeps them so busy. And although I do hear things that should qualify as "me time", the fact that those yoga sessions or massages or pedicure appointments are scheduled smack dab in the middle of their fast-paced busy lives, leaves me to believe they aren't fully appreciated.



This article almost had me. I thought I was going to completely identify with it, but then there was one line that made me rethink the author's authority on giving such advice: "My escape valve is hockey. I play hockey four to five times a week. I also ride a stationary bike and do some yoga four times a week. And I'm not sure all this is enough!" All that hockey, yoga, and stationary bike riding would sure make for a busy week in my book. Furthermore, doesn't it seem that by attempting to follow 10 steps to combat your busyness, you're going to, in turn, become even more busy? 

Well, I'd like to give you an example of my day, just so you can fully trust that I am the ultimate authority on the anti-busy movement. Today I made coffee, walked Penelope around the block in the light rain, watched three episodes of Felicity on Hulu, ate a bowl of Grandma Goodie's granola with sliced bananas, talked to my mother-in-law on the phone, browsed around the internet for a while, took a bath, cleaned my apartment, did a few sit-ups, stretched, thought some thoughts, watered my plants. Which leads me to the conclusion that lazy is the new busy. I mean, it is only 2pm, however, all of the above was accomplished in the laziest, strolliest, most relaxed fashion a person can perform, trust me. And later on I fully intend to take a nap, watch five more episodes of Felicity, make a crust-less quiche, pick up my husband from the airport, drink a beer, and snuggle my puppy. How do I find the time?


No comments:

Post a Comment