Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Avocado Everything

I think everyone has that one food that always wins.  For me its avocado.  It gets me every single time.  When I'm looking at a menu, anything with avocado just pops out at me and I have to order it, whatever it may be.  I want to move to California so I can grow an avocado tree in my backyard.  I'm serious.  I will move there for that sole purpose.

When I first heard about avocado ice cream, however, I was pretty skeptical.  Although avocado is technically a fruit (Right?  It goes on trees and all), it still seems very vegetabley to me.  So I came across a recipe for avocado ice cream on Pinterest, where I always seem to find the most amazing recipes, and decided to try my hand at making it.  I bought an ice cream maker last year and have used it once to make the most disgusting batch of mango sorbet.  So, here's the recipe taken from Two Peas and their Pod via Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz:

Avocado Ice Cream
Yields 1 Qt.
Ingredients:
3 medium avocados, ripe
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Slice open the avocados, remove the pits, and scoop out the flesh. Put the avocados in a blender of food processor. Add the sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt. Blend until smooth.
2. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. If you like soft ice cream, go ahead and eat. If you like firmer ice cream, store in the freezer for a couple of hours before serving.

And here are some images of my successful dessert:





No comments:

Post a Comment