Monday, September 30, 2013

{ it's a matter of taste }

Sometimes differences in opinion, taste, and perception are so weird to me. Have you ever gotten a book recommendation from a friend, read the book, and thought "What the heck was that even about? How is that your favorite book?" I know I sure have. Have you ever made dinner for someone only to find out later that they don't like goat cheese? Or don't eat salmon? Or are not a "sweets person"? I tend to look at people like that as if they're a different species.

I don't really know where I was going with this one. I guess I wanted to just put it out there. I think a good rule of thumb is to only have a maximum of five foods you refuse to eat. I've determined my five here:

1) Jello
2) Marshmallows (By themselves, that is. Melted in a s'more is just fine by me)
3) Cow tongue
4) Sea urchin
5) Anything aspic related

Source:  I'll admit, this looks really pretty. I just wish it didn't wiggle then crumble in my mouth!

Everything else, you just have to either like or suffer through. The bright side is there's this wikiHow article that guides you through eating foods you don't like in just nine steps. It's a nine step program, folks. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Juuust kidding, it's Determining the Seriousness of your Situation. This is going to come in real handy the next time I'm presented with the dreaded chicken jello the Russians are always trying to make me eat! It's probably just some sort of social experiment that I'm failing miserably at.

On the book front, I think a lot of people confuse actually liking a book with just the simple fact that they've read the book. When you ask someone for a recommendation and the only book they've read in the last year was "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom, that's probably going to be the book they recommend to you. And if that's the case, I would delete them from your Facebook immediately. I know that's harsh, guys, but this is a harsh world. You don't want that Mitch Albom reading, non goat cheese eating, friend who always passes on yummy cupcakes. They just aren't going to enrich your life. #coldhardtroofs

So, tell me the five foods you refuse to eat. And tell me the worst book that's ever been recommended to you. I'm super curious!


No comments:

Post a Comment